The Cathedral and the Bell Tower
The Cathedral of Caorle which overlooks Piazza Vescovado is the oldest building (dating back to 1038) and the most important of the city, and it is dedicated to Saint Stephen Protomartyr. It is in Romanic style with Byzantine elements and it contains infinite treasures: a Roman funerary altar dating back to the 1st century A.D. (the Licovia altar at the foot of the tabernacle); the Golden Pall of the 13th - 14th century behind the high altar (a masterpiece of Venetian goldwork that features style elements of Byzantine influence); a wooden cross of the 15th century. Then there is the fresco of Saint Christopher (dating back to 15th century), a Baptismal font of 1587 and evocative canvasses of the Venetian school of the 15th-17th century. The Cathedral is accessible every day during the day except during religious celebrations (in summer until 11 pm; for information, contact the Parish of Saint Stephen +39 0421 81028). Adjacent to the Cathedral is the Liturgical Museum which is really worth the visit!
The Bell Tower
It is the symbol of Caorle and it is one of the few original cylindrical-shaped bell towers left. Ours dates back to the 11th century, is 48 metres tall and leans slightly to the right. It was recently restructured and can be visited upon booking; in summer, you can see it even in the evening, to enjoy the breath-taking night glimpses that Caorle offers when the sun sets. Just go up the 80 steps to take in the view from the sea to the lagoon (for more information, contact Mr. Giacomo Capiotto tel. +39 3466637063).